Thursday, August 9, 2007

A New Season: Solidago


Those of you who have been following the seasons here have realized that the season Day Lily is a long one, most of July in fact is Day Lily. But life goes on. And sometime in end of July the early goldenrod, Solidago juncea, blooms, followed by FIVE MORE species of goldenrod: S. gigantea at 8.4; S. bicolor at 8.27; S. canadensis on 8.28; and on 9.6 S. nemoralis and S. rugosa.

This is a season of yellow flowers, in which the whiteness of Queen's Anne's lace in fields gives way to a number of species with yellow flowers that persist to mid September. This is the season called Solidago. To me, even though it is August, it is a sign that summer is turning the corner. Welcome to Solidago. PS Solidago bicolor is white.

1 comment:

VeronicaODAAT said...

I have a love/hate relationship with Solidagos.
I love their beautiful flowers which feed bees and bring happy memories of playing in the fields near my childhood home in Illinois. I also love their utility as a dye plant and a carefree landscape plant. But I very much hate what they do to me allergy-wise. Therefore, I do not want to have any Solidagos within a 100m radius of my home. Not an issue right now, since these don't live in my region anyway.

If I ever get back to the mainland I'll want a homestead big enough to have some of these for bees and natural dye, without having them too near to the house. :)